Sunday, September 28, 2014

These Things Shall Be For Your Good


Monday, September 22, 2014

I have tried to think of words that would captivate what this week really was like and I can't. I've seen every kind of pain, burden, and tool of Satan this week. He is working really hard. There is something about wearing Jesus Christ's name that makes people want to share everything that is going on in their lives. I have reflected on this and talked to the other sisters and we have concluded that it is because we are representing the Savior and if the Savior was really there in their midst, they would tell him everything and cast on him their many burdens. I feel honored to wear his name and to become more acquainted with him but since I am not the Savior, having burdens cast upon you everyday can be exhausting. But it really does help me to come to know the Savior personally as I turn back to him with these burdens and give them all to him. I don't know how he can carry ALL the burdens of EVERYONE. And not just people in this worlds but worlds without number that his infinite Atonement encompasses. 

I've seen families struggling with every kind of trial, you name it, I've seen it and the effects it has on the individual's lives and their families. But along with seeing these trials, I have seen how the Lord allows trials in order to humble His children in order to bring them closer to Him. A key scripture that we have used this week is Ether 12:27. Our weaknesses are to humble us and bring us closer to our Heavenly Father. If we come unto Him he will make our weaknesses become strengths and consecrate our trials for our gain and not our failure. I've seen individuals react both ways this week to trials. Some have completely shut down and become angry at God, and others have humbled themselves and come unto God which as a result is making them stronger and causing their family relationships to become even better than they could imagine. There is a family who we have been trying to work with since I got here to Rawlins but up until this point they haven't had desires to put the work into gaining a testimony and having the gospel bless their lives. The wife isn't a member and likes to go at her own pace. But recently, some struggles have been occurring in their family but while they are difficult trials, their family is turning to the Lord. They have been to church every Sunday for the past month, and attended both of the baptisms, and their family is just coming closer as a result of the struggles they are having. Sometimes the Lord allows trials to humble us. Another family has been struggling with their relationship but with a near death experience this week, they snapped out of it and began to be united again in their relationship and recommitted to work towards their goals. 

These are just a few random insights on this week. I have learned a lot and felt Heavenly Father teaching me. I love when I learn from my weeks. That is when I know I am doing something right. I did have a bit of a rough week with my cold. One day I felt awful but went out and did the work anyway. Miracles happened. We found a girl, 17 years old, ready to hear the gospel and started teaching her. Also that day, I felt prompted to ask for a priesthood blessing, even though it was just a silly little cold. Sister Clyde here, believes strongly in getting blessings even for a cold. She has helped my testimony a lot in that sense and in so many other ways. So we sent a text to her husband, Bro. Clyde asking if he could give my a blessing. They said to come on over. We got there and as we walked up, a family had stopped by to give them some veggies from their garden. These are the G family, the ones working towards the temple. Brother G has not been able to give blessings for a long time. He helped with the blessing and then Sister Johnson asked for one as well and had Brother G give it. It was a neat experience. He later sent us a text saying how he was so grateful to have been a part of that because he hasn't felt the spirit guiding him like that in a long time. The Lord knew that Br. G needed to be a part of that and they just "happened" to be there at the exact time that we needed blessings. It was a really neat experience and worth being sick for!! ha. 
But my cold didn't end there. The next day was fine. We had a huge long day of driving to Cheyenne for Zone Conference though and it was great to be instructed by President and to feel the spirit. We talked a lot about Joseph Smith and his role in bringing back the gospel of Jesus Christ to the earth. His story is the story of so many investigators. Many truly have searched their whole lives for the truth and finally find it. This is how Bonnie is. Bonnie is 53 and getting baptized this weekend! She has been searching her whole life for Christ's church upon the earth. She says that we can't even imagine what it feels like to have a relationship with God but not be able to feel complete because she didn't have the fullness of the gospel. She loves the Book of Mormon,(she's been late to work all week because she can't put it down.) she knew that God did not just stop after the Bible. She knew that He must have prophets on the earth, but she really just didn't know where to find it! THAT is why I am out here. I am realizing how blessed I really am to be a member of the fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ. We all take it so for granted that we didn't have to search a lifetime for it, we were born into the truth. And because of that we have the responsibility to share it with those around us who are not so fortunate. They are searching!  
The day after Zone Conference though I was probably the most sick I have been on my mission. I ended up sleeping all morning to try to get better. We had some more appointments that we still went to, but then during our service hours I would come home and sleep. My body was just exhausted and I had no energy at all, and my head felt like a bowling ball. We still went to our appointments but I really felt like, in order to be at my tip top shape the rest of the week, I needed to take that time, and Heavenly Father understood. That night I prayed and just asked Heavenly father to give me energy and to not let my head be so heavy, at least so I could do the work. The next day I had energy and my head wasn't so heavy! I was able to do the work just fine the rest of the week:)I still am at the tail end of my cold but I am grateful it wasn't worse. 

Adrianne's baptism was this weekend!!! It went well and it was neat to have her bear her testimony afterwords. She is such a sweet lady and will continue to strengthen her testimony as she endures. A little funny miracle that happened this week. We haven't ever been able to meet Adrianne's husband. But his heart has been softening little by little. She even read the Family Proclamation with him the other day. We were visiting some people in Sinclair and one person had these adorable kittens that we were holding while we taught this man on his porch. Then guess what happened? The cat pooped on me!!! Grossssssss! It was disgusting, and then while I was trying to clean it up this kitten kept trying to climb up my leg! haha. But as we walked to the car we stopped to clean it up and guess who happened to be walking by? Adrianne and her husband! If the cat wouldn't have pooped on me I guess we wouldn't have met her husband! haha. So that is the funny miracle of the week. The Lord works in mysterious ways. 
Alright, well...I am out of time so I better get going soon. 

I love you all!!! Have a wonderful week:):) Keep smiling and remembering how blessed you are!
Love,
Karissa

Cute cat until...

Cat Poop:(

Adrianne's Baptism with the Clydes!

In Sinclair at the beautiful fountain at the Parco Inn

At the Old Pen in the Gas Chamber with Heather, who we do service with.

Running in the morning!


No comments:

Post a Comment